Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Introductory Post - All Things Rough Trade!

I learned exactly what Rough Trade was during my formative high school years.  As I was curious and wondering about my own sexuality (pre-Internet, of course), I read as many books as I could find in my small public library during my junior and senior years of high school.  The town I grew up in had two well known persons associated with it, and each in his own way heightened my own curiosity about men who have anonymous and/or non-romantic sexual liaisons with available hot straight guys.

James Dean


Yes, James Dean was a heart throb, but he was also rumored to be bisexual.  I wonder where those rumors came from?  To my knowledge not one rumor has been confirmed, but still I thought a lot about James Dean as a teen myself, with his imagery everywhere and growing up around people who actually knew him or his family.

Cole Porter

Perhaps one of the greatest songwriters in American history, Cole Porter learned to play the piano in my hometown, but soon left the place for bigger and better things in the Big Apple.  I read a lot about Cole Porter as a young man as well, but for the life of me the only thing I can remember reading about is that he would frequently pick up Rough Trade on the docks in New York.

Where were these docks, and where could I find them?  Well, decades later, I can certainly say that I have learned a lot about Rough Trade and that I certainly have found them (not on the docks in NYC, however).  Rough Trade is everywhere, almost.  You just have to learn how to spot it.

This blog will be dedicated to Rough Trade of all sorts and describe my personal journey, my observations about Rough Trade, and a good deal of examples of the kind of Rough Trade I like.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment